Monday 8 October 2012

The Mountain begins + New stuff (Hasslefree Mini review)

Hello there,

I will start off with The Mountain - FINALLY made a start on him.  Going for a radically different approach on the metal... White base coat with brilliant mythril silver over that. I then plan to wash/glaze/whatever until the desired effect is achieved.

I was toying with using the TMM tutorial I linked here (essentially adding in non metallic colours to mythril silver) I plan to try that on a less difficult (read expensive) model at a later date.

Metal being notoriously difficult to photograph... these probably look like crap. Anyway I am sticking to my guns by saying this model may be reasonably quick to paint. Dare I say it the metal looks quite nifty already...

I want to tint it and shade it but not wreck the overall brightness of it. I reckon some really thin washes should be alright.




Secondly I bought Some GW stuff (Well it is my birthday in less than two hours :)

The nurgle champion is just too cool a model not to paint... And it's in new GW plastic so CRISP as f*ck. (oh I also bought some paints... gotta collect 'em all!!)



Last but not least, I have decided to give hasslefree miniatures a go ( www.hfminis.co.uk )... I've been lurking on their site and the forums of doom ( http://forum-of-doom.com/index.php ) for a while and it just seems to be a really well run company. Great customer service and even gives you a detailed insight into the costs of miniature production.  The sculptor/co-owner Kev White also does great work, I'm not into the "fantasy babes" style that much but his work is undeniably good, probably the best at modeling the female form I have seen, such a difficult thing to get right.

I bought 4 minis - all metal small scale ones (roughly £4.50 each) cheap as chips if you are used to GW. Also got a free pack of sweets as well as a hand written thank you note with your purchase, cheesy it might be but its exactly what is missing sometimes!

The quality of the casts was variable but of an overall high standard.  The 2012 Miniature Veda Ann was the cleanest (insanely sharp) and the 2010? miniature "wolf" was the worst but wolf is an absolute classic barbarian IMO.

I think these are 28mm non heroic? I'm no expert but seem to be....

Quite hard to find pictures of this companies products online so here ya go:

All 4 as they arrived.






Veda - Ann + sexy scalemail and awesome shield

Bit of skin tone practice on this guy

Wolf

Wold post cleanup 2
Wolf post cleanup 3
Ferrus post cleanup (Iron Islander from GoT is what comes to mind when I see him)


Sana - Chick fantasy, my first attempt at painting jugs I think



Veda Ann  post cleanup on base

Ferus post cleanup on base
Sana post cleanup on base





Post cleanup on bases


No comments:

Post a Comment